Computer Vision-Based Gesture Recognition for an Augmented Reality Interface (2004)

Storring, et al. paper


This paper talks about gesture recognition using vision-based techniques to recognize 6 hand gestures for use in augmented reality.

Because the gestures are recognized using a vision based approach, the only hardware needed is a standard camera. The user does not need to wear a glove.

The hand gestures are recognized by manipulating the image of the hand's pixels in such a way that the hand becomes white and the background becomes solid black, even if there are other objects in the background.

To count the number of fingers that are outstretched, concentric circles about the hand are examined.

One extended finger is recognized as a pointing gesture, and a transition between three states is used for a click gesture, in which the thumb is used to "click."

The generality of this algorithm means people with varying hands can use it. Also, it works for both left and right hands.

The author claims that this gesturing method was easily understood and used in a simple AR application, which I don't feel like describing...

------------

I like the vision-based approach used in this method. The CyberGlove is not easy to wear for a long period of time, so I like any solution that works with a bare hand as input. I have not studied any computer-vision methods, so this is new to me. I was wondering what the resolution was of the camera they use, because it seems that doing per-pixel calculations would take a long time.

I also wonder how sensitive the glove is to different skin tones. They mentioned an initialization step, but I don't remember if they specified if that included setting the skin color.

4 comments of glory:

Franck Norman said...

I don't think they even mentioned about different skin colors. I also wonder how many times they got the interface to work since they didn't provide quantitative results.

manoj said...

Computer vision methods are non invasive. The approach in the paper is good but i doubt if they have achieved the intended results.

M Russell said...

I was particularly interested in the segmentation method they used. I seemed an efficient size independent approach. However, I am not sure how comfortable it would be to wear the HMD assembly.

Kevin said...

I think the segmentation method was unique. However, they lacked a detailed evaluation, so I don't know if this idea is practical or comfortable.

Post a Comment