Reading #17: Distinguishing Text from Graphics in On-line Handwritten Ink (2004)

by Christopher M Bishop, Groffrey E Hinton

Comments: Marty

This is an earlier text vs shape paper. It uses both stroke features, gaps, and time data to help separate text from other strokes. They used HMMs for recognition. They collected data from some dudes. The dudes drew some stuff, whatever they wanted, as long as the sketches contained some text elements and some non-text strokes. Recognition results were mixed, with some groups getting in the mid 90s and some in the mid 70s.

_______

Shape v Text is a hard problem, and there are many solutions to solve it. I don't like this gaps and time solution, however. It just doesn't make sense to me... I think I would like entropy better or simply visual approaches. Also, I think we can combine gestures into the mix to denote text. blah blah blah

1 comments of glory:

kingyy said...

When I was doing HW2, I found I really have not idea for how to handle the text. This paper has really given a good idea.

Post a Comment