Reading #22: Plushie: An Interactive Design System for Plush Toys

by Yuki Mori and Takeo Igarashi

Comments: Chris

This is a follow up of Teddy. This paper presents a system that can generate patterns that can be used to create plush toys. The program creates 3d models from 2d sketch inputs and finds a good pattern that can be printed and applied to fabric in such a way that the resulting plush looks like the 3d model. The program incorporates similar 3d conversion as Teddy, and it also includes some editing tools, such as cut, part creation, and seam insertion and deletion.

_______

This is definitely unique. Once again, I like the conversion of the 2d stroke to a 3d shape. I am wondering how complex you can make the shape, since it seems like you have to make a big blob and carve away parts of it maybe. Also, I took a computer-aided sculpting course this semester, and I could have used this to make one of my sculptures (too bad I didn't read this paper when we were doing that project).

0 comments of glory:

Post a Comment